- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 leeks, bulb only, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 (16 ounce) cans fat-free chicken broth
- 2 (16 ounce) cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/2 cup whole wheat couscous
- 2 cups packed fresh spinach
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan or soup pot over medium heat. Add the leeks and garlic; saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken broth, cannellini beans, bay leaves and cumin. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, and stir in the couscous. Cover, and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in spinach and season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately.
I twisted it a little bit by using frozen spinach and adding an extra can of broth. Leeks aren ingredient that I've heard about before, but I've been to timid to try.
This soup is delish! And great for a gross, wet, cold day like today in Boston.