Stream of Consciousness

Thursday, September 27, 2007

I need my planner like a druggie needs crack

In Baltimore I only had to balance two personalities: me at work and me after-work. It was simple, work me was regulated to the hours between 8 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday. The rest of my time was for after-work me to do with as I so pleased.

Being back in Boston makes that infinitely more difficult. The lines become blurred, the categorizations overlap, the time is spread out into unpredictable chucks. I swear sometimes I would wander the streets aimlessly and accomplish nothing if it weren't for my bright orange day planner.

I schedule everything on my planner(s). (Yes, that's right I have a week-by-week and two monthlies.) In it get recorded all events, due dates, meetings, parties, TV shows, homework assignments, people to call, errands, and vital information I need to get through my days efficiently and successfully.

I would scan a page in but I'm almost embarassed by the use of coordinating highlighters, scratches, and "note to self" messages in boxes with exclamation marks. It's like a peek inside this crazy little mind I have; no one should have to be subjected to that kind of torture.

Sometimes I think that even though I have it, I might just explode from the overwhelming pressures of being a student and daughter and Girl Scout leader and friend and (hopefully soon) employee. Anyone else addicted to their planner?

1 comment:

Bubba said...

I never ever thought that I would use a PDA, I was devoted to the old paper ones and just double checking everything with my outlook calander at work and my iCal at home, but I'm stuck on the PDA now. I got a tungsten e2, it has been one of the best purchases I have ever made, becuase it arranges it all for you, and it so much more organized, and easier to carry around.