I didn't post a Resolution Update last week because I ended up leaving work early to meet some of the girls at Savant Project for an impromptu sex education session with Oh Megan. When I got home, after a few delicious Red Heads, I attempted to balance my checkbook as usual. However, there was some discrepency between what the bank thought I should have and what I did. After 20 minutes of struggling with my fuzzy brain, checkbook and calculator on top of the pillows, I gave up.
This week I knew I must find the error or else it would only continue to get worse. For the last half hour I've been adding and re-adding (well, mostly subtracting) the numbers. I checked to make sure each entry in my checkbook appeared in my online statement. I realized that I had written an 8 instead of a 6 at one point, which had thrown my balance off by $20. Eureka!
But it wasn't to be so. I was still off by what I thought was nearly $50 now!! After making sure I was only counting items that had cleared, I checked again. And finally - finally! - found the problem. I had recorded an entry twice - subtracting an additonal $12.33.
It's a relief to finally have it balanced and matching up to my online account again. Like my mom said when I first complained that I was off, "It's your error. The bank doesn't add wrong." As with most things, the error is usually the human.