Stream of Consciousness

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

It's fucking gorgeous out and I'm trapped in this glass box

I feel like some kind of hampster. Or house cat. Or child.

It's fucking beautiful out -- 80 degrees, sunny, slight breeze -- and I'm trapped in my cubicle. I spent time this morning purusing Idealist.org and STA Travel looking for work abroad instead of doing the data entry (that I have deftly been avoiding for a month). I was searching for jobs that were meaningful, jobs that will let me travel, jobs that won't make me feel suffocated and confined.

It's funny - I didn't get this feeling at the last big financial firm I worked for. I don't know if it's because my desk was in the corner near the windows. Or because I could take my editing outside to the patio and work down there. Or if I somehow found enough meaning in the work that it was okay being trapped inside from 8-5, because I knew that at the end of the day I would have the whole evening to myself.

I don't even get to enjoy the outside when I "leave" work today because I'm going to my second job at Banana. I wish I could build a sky light in the store.

I don't know what kind of jobs would let me be outside sometimes, with the fresh air in my lungs. Anyone have any suggestions?

1 comment:

farmiloe said...

Yeah. I say you take everyone at the water cooler on a field trip...a one block walk around the other buildings with people trapped inside glass boxes.