Stream of Consciousness

Thursday, August 2, 2007

The Little European Green Eyed Monster in my Heart

I was at dinner last night with three of my best girl friends, drinking sake and shooting the shit about life. A predominent theme in the conversation was two of the girls' recent trip to Geneva and Brussels. The third friend is leaving for Brussels in a few weeks to study abroad. One of the first two is also leaving in a month to study abroad in London.

I realized while they were talking that I was extremely jealous of their recent escapades. I have loved being home for the last month beyond words. I've spent 3 of the last 4 weekends with my cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents, and more cousins. But, I couldn't help but feel left out of the "OMG, EUROPE IS THE BEST PLACE EVER" conversations. The little green eyed monster reared its ugly head.

So, I went to the info session for study abroad. After contemplating it for about 10 years, and almost deciding not to do it last year, I am going to France (Paris or Grenoble) in the Fall of 2008. Expect lots of entries to come over the next year about the superfun process of applying for visas and such (thankfully, I already have my passport).

I also informed my parents at dinner two nights ago that I WILL be flying to London while Marisa is there in the fall. They gave me the most incredulous, "but where are you going to get the money from?" look. Some things are just more important than money (& thank you Sallie Mae!).

Sometimes a little jealousy is all you need to kick yourself into high gear.

No comments: