Stream of Consciousness

Wednesday, June 6, 2007

What happens when you try to not think

Went for a 4.5 mile hike/trail run after work and errands today. No headphones, no phone calls, no one else with me. I love hikes like that. Start out thinking about things and then your mind wanders, comes across something interesting, and you start thinking about how you're thinking. Start the process over again and again. I did two separate loops at Soldiers' Delight NEA. I saw one cute little bunny and FIVE beautiful white tail deer. It was a really good head-clearing hike. I didn't try to tackle any particular problems -- just thought about some upcoming goals and what life's going to be like when I get back home.

I'm currently about 1/3 of the way through Brazen Careerist. Definitely some interesting take aways. I like the quick-hit feel of it. Especially after the rambling discoveries in Tipping Point. Thinking about it -- I've never had to interview at more than one place before getting a co-op job. I've never had an interview that didn't result in a job offer. Does that mean I tell good stories? That I'm personable? I guess so. I guess it's like softball -- I have to learn to stop swinging at that first pitch. Maybe my goal for my next co-op cycle should be to do at least 2 interviews before accepting an offer?

I spent about two hours this morning (while I was at work "working") writing emails for Pursue the Passion. Last night Brett wrote to ask me how I thought we could get more college kids involved. I was so incredibly flattered. I also decided that since his blog post today was about how they need more interviews that I would finally get around to asking Barbara if we could talk to her. Turns out (as I pretty much expected) she was more than willing. And now I get to do the interview (since she'll be out of town when PTP comes through Boston) and do the write up. Great clip for the portfolio. I'm sure Barbara is going to have a lot to say. I'll have to re-listen to the interview I had with her for my Education in the Community project. I also had an epiphany at some point between last night and this morning. I thought Steve Cody (aka RepMan) would be perfect to not only ask for viral marketing advice, but to interview. And turns out Steve was really enthusiastic about it! I'm so excited. I can't wait to read what he has to say. I also think I'm going to see if anyone at my current job would qualify as passionate about their positions. Oh! I just thought of the CEO of Eduventures -- that's on my list of things to do tomorrow.

I also apparently blew the socks off my big boss today. I'm working on getting custom chocolates for an annual client meeting in the fall. I finally got a pricing quote from the chocolatier this afternoon. So I forwarded the contents of the email to the BB. But I also remembered that last time I needed her to follow-up with me she told me she had printed the email out and physically put it in her TO-DO/INBOX. So I printed the email and the attached pricing and handed it to her. She was like, "WOW! You're really getting to know me." She seemed absolutely blown away. Do other people not pay attention to things like that and make modifications? Am I really doing something above and beyond here?

Tomorrow is another CX Quarterly Meeting off-site and softball game. I'm excited. It's also one of my roommate's last weekends, which I'm not so excited about. I was mad at the scale yesterday, so I ate too much and drank a few glasses of wine. Then was a bitch to one of my best friends who's leaving for Iraq in a month. But I woke up today and put it all in perspective. One of my goals while I'm losing weight is to learn to forgive myself and move on. It's a lot harder than I thought it would be -- the self-chiding followed by pity-spiral is such an easy cycle to fall into.

Goal tonight is to go to bed before 11:30.

No comments: